Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Who Is the Teacher Behind the Blog?

For as long as I can remember, I wanted to be a teacher.  I'm not sure when it exactly started...maybe when my parents hung a huge chalkboard in my bedroom when I was in elementary school or maybe when I was old enough to realize that I could make a difference in the lives of learners.  When I started my education classes in 2001, I didn't really know where I was called to be - elementary, middle, high school.  I just knew I wanted to teach.  I spent the majority of my teaching placements in an elementary setting and I always enjoyed it.  I will be honest though - my first job was not in an elementary setting.

I received a phone call from a professor at the college that I attended wanting to know if he could suggest my name to a principal from a middle school for an opening in a 6th grade position.  I agreed - I was desperate (newly married, desperately wanted my first job).  I had a very informal interview with the principal and was offered the job the next day.  When it was offered, she gave me the choice - a reading/language arts or math/science 6th grade position.  I took the math position (to this day, I'm not sure why).

After 3 years in the middle school setting, I decided it was time for a change.  I took a 4th grade position in the district I graduated from and I've been there since.  Weird fact on the 4th grade position I took - I replaced my husband's teacher (along with all 3 of his siblings) that he had in 5th grade AND was placed in the exact same classroom he was a student in.  I've been in this position for 4 years and I enjoy it as much as when I started.


No comments:

Post a Comment